How you make your own levels!

Post your levels here
luke
Site Admin

How you make your own levels!

Post by luke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:14 pm

(I have been meaning to post this for a while.)

Making levels for box fox is quite easy. The levels in Box Fox are created with very nice open source product called Tiled.

To make a level for box fox:

1. Download Tiled at http://www.mapeditor.org , it runs on windows, mac and linux.

2. Download some map samples: http://corrodinggames.com/files/boxfox_custom_maps_template.zip

3. Create a folder called "boxfoxmaps" on the sd card of your phone, and put the maps in there.

You need the full version of box fox to load the maps, from it pick "custom" when starting a new game.

With the buttons and doors, some of the tiles are used internally by the game, and not meant to be placed. If you see two of the same thing next to each other, normally the left, or top tile is the real one. If your unsure, check the tile has propertiles, eg buttons have a property of "button". If it has no properties it will be treated as a normal block.

btw you currently cannot change the imagemaps, as the game only loads it's internal images, support for this will be added soon.

Feel free to post your levels here.

dettox

Re: How you make your own levels!

Post by dettox » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Is any1 out there actually attempting to make their own level?

Has any1 actually downloaded the map making kit?

I have but dont really know where to begin... waiting for inspiration i guess.

If sum1 is making their own maps i can't wait to play them =)

aussiechris

Post by aussiechris » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Just got this game. Finished it in a few days it's so addicting. I can't believe that there are no custom maps uploaded (apart from the demo one). I will definitely have to look into this.

Oh, and thanks to Luke for making such a kick ass game!

aussiechris

Post by aussiechris » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:35 am

For those of you making your own levels, feel free to start with this blank level I made. It has tilesets pre-loaded with all the correct properties as well as the start and finish points. Just move them into position. I have also included tilesets prepared for use in Tiled so you won't have to go and set tile properties all over again if you want to use the tilesets with another map other than this blank one. i hope this is helpfull for people and leads to a few new custom levels.
link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11313572/BoxFoxStarter.zip

For my own notes, and anybody else that s interested, the default map settings for creating Box Fox levels in Tiled appear to be:

Orientation: Orthogonal
Map Width: 200
Map Height: 80
Tile Width: 16
Tile Height: 16

Then import Lukes original .png tilesets with:
Tile Width: 16
Tile Height: 16
Margin: 1
Spacing: 1

luke
Site Admin

Post by luke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:13 am

Hey aussiechris,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, thank you for the compliments and the starter pack, hopefully it encourages people to make some levels.

btw the map width and height are not fixed, feel free to make larger or smaller maps. (the individual tile size is fixed but).

Let me know if you have any problems, I'm happy to help.

dettox

Post by dettox » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:39 am

Glad to se someone is liking this game as much as me (if not more) =)

How many downloads have this game had? It's like the best game on the market FFS!

luke
Site Admin

Post by luke » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:11 am

Downloads are ok, bit slow but. I don't really know anything about marketing, and it's hard to stand out on the android market.

16914 downloads for the lite version

138 downloads for the paid

dettox

Post by dettox » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:53 am

We that like this game have an incentive to become as many as possible because that greatly increases the chances of someone doing their own custom levels and posting them here.

I think we should all try and Facebook/tweet/G+ and post in forums about this game. It could do us all a favour.

I am starting now =). Hope it makes a difference.

Mando

Post by Mando » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:20 am

dettox wrote:We that like this game have an incentive to become as many as possible because that greatly increases the chances of someone doing their own custom levels and posting them here.

I think we should all try and Facebook/tweet/G+ and post in forums about this game. It could do us all a favour.

I am starting now =). Hope it makes a difference.

Lets' use G+!