Ideas

nrkid9

Ideas

Post by nrkid9 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:29 am

These are a few ideas for your next (few?) release(s). I understand it is used on both tablets and phones ,tablets probably preferable because of the larger screen, but we do use it on phones too. (I apologize for any redundancy, I haven't combed through all of the other posts.)

Tech trees. People are able to build any unit off the bat. This means we can get to the most powerful unit (To me, the gunship... you may have other opinions) without any trouble. What I have always been doing is instantly building an airport and then pumping out gunships and interceptors. Wins every time. With tech trees, it will force people to have longer 1v1 games, dragging out the fun a bit. If there is controversy over this maybe add it as an option in the game.

Darker font on the $$$. It's a little hard to see the amount of money we have on the brighter maps, particularly the ice maps. Maybe if it had a black highlight around it it would be easier to see.

Larger boxes on the sidebar. When I use the box to select units, I almost always grab a unit that I don't want. An example is grabbing a builder, tank, and a building all at once. I have to tap my finger on the name of the unit multiple times. For this I suggest replacing the name with an icon of sorts.

Control groups. This has already been discussed and will be implemented. I'm just putting it here for any discussion on how it will work. Personally, as a Starcraft player, I would like to see a box at the bottom with the number of units/buildings in it and a small icon to see what type of units are there.

Rally points. I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not but it is annoying to have to go to my buildings and drag the units out every time. It would be much easier to rally my units to another of my more active units so that whenever I'm out battling, or even just idling my units I wouldn't have to bring them over every time they finish production.

Resource fields. The extractor should run out of resources after a while, forcing us to expand to another resource site.

Ability to reconstruct a command center. I haven't seen this in the builder's menu (it might show up if I lose my command center) but it would be nice to be able to build multiple. Also I don't really think it's a good idea that the command center defends itself. This can be a hard to break with the amount of anti-air and anti-ground turrets we can place.

Supply limits. Basically, don't allow us to build an infinite army. I haven't seen any limit yet if there is any but I've gotten my armies to a pretty sizable amount.

Area of Effect (AoE) damage. This isn't necessary, but it might be a good idea to add an explosive-firing unit that deals AoE against masses of smaller units. I was able to swarm my friend with a bunch of helicopters, winning the game.

Fog of War. We shouldn't be able to see what the opponent is building. If there is controversy over this, add it to the options menu, which is probably the most preferable.

Builder repairs. Builders should be able to repair the buildings automatically within a certain range, and at the cost of our funds. This should be an option we can turn off and on on the builder menu. Also I think that since all of the units in the game are mechanical, the builder should be able to repair them also. Or you can just add a medic-type unit that will repair the units in battle.

Minimap. The minimap is useful, but you can extend its usefulness by allowing us to tap on a certain spot in the map and for us to go there instantly. It's annoying to have to tap and drag all the time, especially on some of the larger maps.

Anti-Air Ground Unit. The mega tank already does this, but it's not powerful enough. If our opponents go mass air while we have only ground units, it is hard to counter.

Technology/Research. There should be an Engineering building of some sort that allows us to upgrade the attack power, armor, firing rate, etc. for our units/buildings. It's not necessary but it would add some complexity to the game.

Map variations. I personally think that we could have high ground-low ground differences, where on the low ground we can have units that aren't able to attack what's on the high ground. This is only able to be implemented if you are adding the Fog of War idea.

Siege units. We currently don't have many units that outrange the defense towers. This is not necessary but preferable so that we don't have to waste money on expensive units to go in and destroy the towers.

Unit Cloaking/Hiding. This is useful for sneaking behind enemy lines. Of course, you'd have to create a unit/structure that is able to detect these cloaked units also.

Unit Abilities. This is obviously not necessary but it'd be nice to have some unit abilities, like maybe a bomb or laser for the mega tank and rocket swarms for the Gunship.

Biological Units. Yes, I know the game is called Rusted Warfare (suggestive of the mechanical units only) but it would be nice to have some bio units in the game. It would open up possibilities such as an EMP that temporarily shuts down the mechanical units in an area, sniping, etc.

Victory Conditions. This has been discussed often. My personal thoughts on this are that your opponent either leaves the game or has all their buildings destroyed. Having an army doesn't make any sense if you don't have a leader. This can also be translated to keeping the command center alive. Another condition we can have is if we lose the command center, we lose the game.

My thoughts on this game so far:
I like it very much. It's very fun to play. Somewhat slow paced, but it is understandable for being on a phone/tablet. The fact that we have multiplayer and custom maps makes it extremely fun. Hopefully we can have something like a centralized server that we can play on though, and not having to play locally only. Then we can have some real competition :D

nrkid9

Re: Ideas

Post by nrkid9 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:51 am

Edit: I realized that I can use the minimap to tap to where I want to go. Sorry.

Fog of war is only on some maps.. why? And also we the maps shouldn't stay visible once we see them. They should gray out, or something like that.

luke
Site Admin

Post by luke » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Some very good points. I agree with most of them. I'm also guessing you must be a starcraft 1/2 fan :p

I'll reply in full tomorrow, been quite busy today, and it's too late at night now.

nrkid9

Post by nrkid9 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Alright, thanks. And do you think you could enable quick replies on the forum? Sometimes the internet is quite slow and I don't like having to open the Post a Reply page. Yes, I am a Starcraft 2 fan. Haha.

luke
Site Admin

Post by luke » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:44 am

I've tried to turn on quick reply, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll have a look after work. And try and reply to your post, sorry been very busy with real life :( :p

Sean37

Post by Sean37 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:39 pm

The technology and research really really should be added to the game, like add a building called "Satelite Dish" which would increase the range of all turrets and anti-air(make it expensive). Oh Oh and something like a "fence" or a "Barricade" which could be built between turrets to stop enemy from running straight into the base. And of course my personal favorite is "The Nuke" make very expensive of course.

Newtonbomb

Post by Newtonbomb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:27 am

Hey, I just my 2 cents, and but you have yourself something that could make you a nice chunk of change... With the help of a professional pixel artist and a few hundred hours you could have the only legimate rts on the market. I've been playing on a galaxy s2 and the controls are slick building, selecting, moving, attacking, and etc. are all very intuitive. With a little added depth and emulation of some established rts classics (as the op pointed out so eloquently) you would have a time wasting classic I would be willing to pay $20 more for... Its a game I have been waiting for on a mobile touch platform for a long time...

Arsaneus

Post by Arsaneus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:34 am

Newtonbomb wrote:Hey, I just my 2 cents, and but you have yourself something that could make you a nice chunk of change... With the help of a professional pixel artist and a few hundred hours you could have the only legimate rts on the market. I've been playing on a galaxy s2 and the controls are slick building, selecting, moving, attacking, and etc. are all very intuitive. With a little added depth and emulation of some established rts classics (as the op pointed out so eloquently) you would have a time wasting classic I would be willing to pay $20 more for... Its a game I have been waiting for on a mobile touch platform for a long time...

My thoughts exactly. But yes..a few hundred hours will be needed...*cough*

cncwarlord

Post by cncwarlord » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Music:
The game is unusually silent! I think a little bit of music(obviously with volume controll, and the option to turn it off all together) could add a bit more to the experience. If your interested, I've always wanted to participate in the making of a game, and I would love to demo some music that you guys could use(all of which i make 100% by myself :]) let me know if any interest is possible for this kind of thing :D

luke
Site Admin

Post by luke » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah I'm interested in some more music, send me an email or pm.